swagbucks- an awesome way you can help our homeschool earn book $

Search & Win

Monday, November 26, 2007








wow...am I behind on the blogging! I have several things I want to blog about, so I'll write them down here so that I have some accountability.




1. Sam's 20$ Webkin party


2. Autism, Haircuts, and Blalocks Barber and Realty


3. Our fabulous Thanksgiving with the Millers and our family




But first, I must make sure my family is fed, so we will have a Chicken Soup Cook-Along! Many of you know that I am totally enamored with my Rival 20 quart turkey roaster, which did a great job on Thanksgiving, but is also a real work horse all year round. Today, we are going to do a quadruple recipe of Chicken Soup to freeze or share. So, get out of your jammies and go buy:




4 whole chickens (4-5lbs each) Mine came from Costco and cost 15$ for all four


1 jar McCormick chicken base - again from Costco and cost about 3$ You can also use Better Than Bouillon from the grocery store, or just dissolve the appropriate amount of bouillon into the water.


4 large onions, quartered studded with 8 whole cloves (total - not on each one)


10 large carrots, peeled and cut in two


1 large head celery with leaves, stalks cut in two


1/2 cup chopped garlic I buy this in bulk at Costco in the spice section


1 tablespoon dried dill


2 tablespoons dried parsley


salt and pepper to taste


Noodles or dumplings of your choice..... I use potato gnocchi from the refrigerated section of Trader Joes


4 bags frozen peas






Okay.....you back from the store yet? Put your cooker on the counter away from little hands. It can get hot on the sides. Rinse off your chickens and place in the cooker. It doesn't matter if they are rock solid frozen. Mine didn't come with the little plastic bag of parts so it doesn't need to be thawed first. Add your onions, celery, carrots, garlic and spices to the pot around and on top of the chickens. Use a 2 quart measuring cup to mix up some broth using your chicken base or bouillon. Pour the broth over the chickens and vegetables until the water comes to about 1 inch from the top of the cooker. It took me about 2 gallons of broth.
Now put that lid on and crank that sucker up to about 450 until it starts to boil, then you can turn it down to about 350 and let it simmer for about 2-3 hours when the meat of the chicken starts coming off the bone.
Great...now that we have dinner actively cooking, I can tell you about Sam's great birthday party.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lesli,
You are good! Thank you for showing me how to do this in a big cooker! Blog on Girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! I think you should forward this on to the Food Network. It's Rachael Ray times 10! - Rich